GOINGS-ON

UN’s Special Envoy in Guinea-Bissau Quits His Post

Since Guinea-Bissau’s military seized power in an April 12 coup d’état, the tiny West African country that relies on cashews as its main export hit an even rougher patch this fall, when armed gunmen struck an air force base in the capital, Bissau, on Oct. 21, killing six people.

Joseph Mutaboba, former UN peace-building chief in Guinea-Bissau
Joseph Mutaboba, former UN chief of the peace-building support office in Guinea-Bissau, is leaving the job.

Soon after, the military did door-to-door searches for the men who were said to be involved in the assault, the United Nations reported recently, finding two of them but leaving several others at large. The military blamed the attack on “foreigners,” orchestrated by a Guinea-Bissau military officer with deposed leaders from the April coup now living abroad.

Along with the searches, the military is reported to have carried out torture and summary executions, going so far as to seal off one of its more popular islands, Bolama, where the officer they accused of the attack, Capt. Pansau N’Tchama, was captured and four others found with him were killed.

What the UN did not say in the Nov. 27 report was that its special representative for the UN peace-building office in Guinea-Bissau, a Rwandan diplomat named Joseph Mutaboba, was rumored to have left the country, leaving his Rwandan bodyguards behind.

Now Agence France-Presse has reported that Mutaboba left his UN post for good in Guinea-Bissau, motivated perhaps by the military’s increasing “security operations” since the Oct. 21 attack.

The UN confirmed that Mutaboba is in New York and will be “completing his assignment” as special envoy in Guinea-Bissau by the end of the year; he has been in the post since February 2009. A search for his successor is under way, the UN added in a statement.

Agence France-Presse reported on Dec. 6 that Mutaboba had left Guinea-Bissau and that the transitional government had accused Mutaboba and others of trying to reinstate a former prime minister, Carlos Gomes Jr., the most likely winner of the presidential election that never took place because of the April coup.

The news service also said that in mid-October, the transitional officials requested that Ban Ki-moon, the UN secretary-general, recall his envoy. Mutaboba is scheduled to address the Security Council on Dec. 11 regarding the status of Guinea-Bissau.

[This article was updated on Dec. 7, 2012.]

Related articles


 

 

A West African Coup’s Potential Ripple Effects

A Museum to Honor the Che Guevara of Guinea-Bissau

 

Don’t Miss a Story: Subscribe to PassBlue

Sign up to get the smartest news on the UN by email, joining readers across the globe.

We respect your privacy and take protecting it seriously

3 thoughts on “UN’s Special Envoy in Guinea-Bissau Quits His Post”

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Support nonprofit journalism →
Left Menu Icon

Don't Miss a Story:

Subscribe to PassBlue

Sign up to get the smartest news on the UN by email, joining readers across the globe.​

We respect your privacy and take protecting it seriously​

Sign up to get the smartest news on the UN by email, joining readers across the globe.

We respect your privacy and take protecting it seriously

Don’t Miss a Story:

Subscribe to PassBlue